Remote work means working from your home. Learn what jobs you can do remotely. Read about how to do well at remote work.
What is remote work?
Remote work also is called telecommuting, teleworking, and mobile work. The other most common name is working from home. Working from home means that you do not travel to a workplace every day. You do all your work from your house or apartment instead.
Remote workers communicate through computers. They use email, messaging, and teleconferencing. Teleconferencing is talking to someone using your computer’s camera.
Jobs for remote work
Healthcare has many remote work jobs. People work from home to manage health information and payments. They also help patients and doctors communicate.
You can work at home in customer service. For example you can do technical support. You can also be a customer care associate or agent. These jobs are usually entry level. They are a good way to get to know a company and then get promoted.
Many companies have salespeople sell products by phone. You can do this at home. You may try to find new clients or customers for the company. Some remote sales jobs include sales associate and sales manager.
Many IT jobs are remote work. You can fix computers or work on the safety of computers. You can manage websites or people. One of the most common jobs is coding. Coding is writing instructions for computers and websites.
Good things about remote work
- Not having to pay for transportation
- Not having to spend time going to work
- Making your own schedule: most jobs have regular hours, but often y0u can start earlier or later. Some jobs are very flexible and you can work whenever you want.
- You can work anywhere as long as you have internet: some people work while traveling
- Staying more focused: some people work better when they do not have coworkers talking or interrupting them
Bad things about remote work
- Not seeing coworkers: you might feel lonely
- Starting your job is harder: it is easier to learn about your job when you have people around to answer your questions
- Getting distracted: you have to have self-discipline to work at home
- Communication is more difficult
- Balancing work and life: sometimes, it can feel like you are working all the time. It might be hard to know when to stop and relax.
What to do if you are working from home
- Set up a workspace in your house
- Stick to a regular schedule
- Talk to your co-workers often
- Tell other people in the house when you are working
What not to do if you are working from home
- Do not turn on the TV or take too many personal calls
- Do not stay sitting all day without taking breaks to walk around
Working from home can be challenging but is a great option for many people. There are many opportunities now and there will be even more in the future.
More resources from the Refugee Center Online
Start your job search
Learn how to find a job and make a great resume.Find job help now