Refugee rights: information and updates on the Executive Order and what it means for refugees, in refugee languages. 

Know Your Rights

Know your rights as a refugee in the United States

Refugee rights

Know Your Rights - Arabic

عرف حقوقك كلاجئ في الولايات المتحدة الأمريكية

Know Your Rights - French


Know Your Rights - Nepali

आफ्नो अधिकार थाहा पाउनुहोस

Know Your Rights - Somali


Know Your Rights - Swahili


Know your rights as an immigrant

Know your rights!

¡Conozca sus derechos!

¡Conozca sus derechos!

Know your rights as an asylum seeker

Getting asylum in America


Citizenship Preparation Course

Naturalization, or the process of becoming an American citizen, requires a lot of time and effort. One step of the naturalization process is taking and passing a test about American government and history.


This is an online program that will guide you through the process of becoming a citizen. They can also connect you to free or low-cost legal help, either online or in person. CitizenshipWorks also has an app you can download to practice for the civics portion of the naturalization exam.

Did you know? You can ask questions and get advice from other refugees and immigrants on the RCO's forums
Refugees shaking hands

Find help near you

Search for programs and resources in your city.

Start your search

Understanding Your Rights

Family reunification - Bring your family to America

The US government has a program that allows refugees to ask for their husband/wife and children to come live with them in the US called family reunification. You must apply for this program within two years of living in the US as a refugee or two years of receiving asylum in the US.

General Laws in the US

There are different types of laws in the US, including Federal Laws, State Laws and County Laws. To learn more, visit this LawHelp page on Laws in the US.

Travel Rights

As a refugee, you can travel anywhere in the US. However, if you move to a new location, you will have to apply for new benefits. It is difficult to travel outside of the US as a refugee until you have become a US citizen. If you need to travel outside of the US, you have to complete special travel papers and forms.

Employment Rights

As a refugee, you can work in the US as soon as you arrive but you do still have to complete certain forms with your resettlement agency. If you are an asylum seeker or Cuban-Haitian entrant, you have to wait until you receive employment authorization in order to work.

Green Card or Permanent Residency

After living in the US for one year, you must apply to become a permanent resident or to get your green card. Your green card is proof that you are allowed to live and work in the US.

Public Benefits

As a refugee, you receive some help and support from the government. All refugees qualify for eight months of initial services including cash to help pay for housing, medical assistance, and help with food. The other help or public benefits you receive will depend on what state you are resettled in and what organizations help you. Even if your public benefits end, you will probably still be able to find other programs and services in your community to support you and your family.

Get free legal help or find a low-cost pro-bono attorney

When should I get a lawyer?

Getting a lawyer or legal help in the US can cost a lot of money.

Pro-bono legal resources and additional help

Free or low cost legal help for refugees and immigrants

This website helps low-income immigrants find legal help.