The number of refugees allowed in the US in 2019
An announcement was made that the number of refugees allowed to come to the United States in 2019 is 30,000. Here are 3 things you should know if you are a refugee who is already here in the US.
On October 4th, the White House announced the final number of refugees that will be allowed to come to the United States for the upcoming fiscal year. This number will be from now until the end of September 2019. The White House has said it will only allow 30,000 refugees to be resettled.
The number of refugees will be divided up by different regions. Here are how the amounts are divided.
- Africa . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11,000
- East Asia . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4,000
- Europe and Central Asia . . . . . . . . 3,000
- Latin America/Caribbean . . . . . . . . 3,000
- Near East/South Asia . . . . . . . . . 9,000
Refugees from the Middle East will be affected the most. There were 17,500 refugees resettled last year and only 9,000 will be resettled next year.
Since the refugee program began, this is the smallest number of refugees allowed by the government to come to the United States to build new lives. A number this low will probably cause several of the refugee resettlement agencies to close their offices.
What does this mean for you?
- If you have family waiting to be resettled, it is will be harder for them to come to the United States.
- You may feel afraid or unwelcome right now. However, remember you have rights and many Americans are glad you are here. Do not be discouraged!
- A number of resettlement programs and non-profit organizations may not be able to provide their services to help support refugees and immigrants.
As a refugee or immigrant in the United States, this is what you can do:
Become a citizen
The most important thing you can do right now is to become a citizen. Some refugees or immigrant are afraid to apply for citizenship. But becoming a citizen is the best way to protect yourself. Once you are a citizen, you have more rights. It will also make it more possible to reunite with your family.
- Find out if you are qualified to become a US citizen
- If you are qualified, learn how to apply for citizenship
- Take a free online citizenship class
Encourage your family and friends to become citizens
If you are already a US citizen, congratulations – we are happy to have you!
Now you can help others:
- Help your friends and family members who are not yet citizens to find out if they are eligible for US citizenship. Encourage them to start the process above.
- If your friends or family need help with their application, they can search for free legal help or start an application with Citizenshipworks.
- Help as many people as you can!
Find resources and services in your city
Since the number of refugee is lower, some agencies will have to close or stop a part of their services. Find out if your resettlement agency near you will keep offering their services. If they are closing or stopping some services you need, you can find other services near you.Use the RCO’s In Your City. It has legal help, job services, healthcare and places to find food.
We are very sad the government will only allow 30,000 refugees to come to the United States this year. We will continue to offer our free website to help you and other refugees and immigrants who are already here.
If you have ideas or suggestions for information you would like us to add to our website at this time, please email us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find help near you
Search for programs and resources in your city.Start your search