Refugee Voices: Do you want to write for the Refugee Center Online?
The Refugee Center Online has a monthly topic that refugee and immigrant authors can write about. You can read stories we have published on our Refugee Voices blog.
We encourage refugee and immigrant authors to write their stories and to share with us their writings for publication. Overall, your story has to be at least one page in length.
What are the benefits of writing for Refuge Voices?
Earn $40 per article or $50 if you include a photo we can publish on our website.
- Share your experiences to help other refugees and immigrants adjust to American culture.
- Have a presence online that can boost your resume or work that you have done.
- Help others to understand who you are and where you come from.
- Be a voice for those who are not able to speak and use your writing to change the perception people have about refugees and immigrants.
Refugee Voices – Upcoming monthly topics to write about
- Topic 1: What has been your experience of being a refugee or an immigrant in America?
- Topic 2: How are you spending your summer? Any goals, or travel plans? How is summer in America different from where you come from?
- Topic 3: What does Independence mean to you? Talk about freedom and what it means to you.
- Topic 4: Share your story with our readers. We can publish your story with or without your name appearing as the author. You choose how much you want to share with others. Help educate others by sharing your story.
If you have an idea for a topic you want to write about or if you want to suggest a monthly theme, you can email it to us: email@example.com.
To submit your story
- Stories must be at a one-full page in length (approximately 500 words). Stories should be submitted in English or can be written in your first language. Stories submitted in first languages will be reviewed by an RCO team member.
- Stories are reviewed by our editorial team for quality. If stories do not meet our quality level, we will ask you to edit and resubmit your story. The RCO has the right to not publish stories we do not believe are helpful for other refugees.
- We may review your story and send you edits to improve the story and help you improve your writing.
- You must have taken the photo you submit or you can submit a photo of yourself. You must have permission to use the photo if you include a photo you have taken.
- On your story, include your full name and your mailing address so we can mail your check. We only mail checks one time per month. Therefore, you will normally receive your check the month after you write a story.
- Please also tell us what name you want to be published on our website. Some authors use their full names and some choose to only use their first name for privacy.
When you are ready to submit your story and photo, email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have questions, you can also email: email@example.com.