Important update: The Courts in the United States have stopped the Second Executive Order. We know this is a very confusing time. We are not sure what will happen next in the legal system and we will update once more information is available.
President Trump issued a second Executive Order on March 6, 2017. This Executive Order replaces the original order made in January. The Executive Order changes the United States refugee resettlement program. This page has information to help you understand how the executive order will affect refugees.
What does the Executive Order mean for refugees?
An Executive Order is an order given by the President that is treated as a law in the United States. Because refugee resettlement is controlled by the President in America, he can make changes to the resettlement program. Jedoch, an Executive Order cannot violate the Constitution or laws passed by Congress.
- The order suspends refugee resettlement for 120 Tagen. This means no refugees will be allowed to be resettled in the United States for 120 Tagen (März 16, 2017 – Juli 14, 2017) with some exceptions for special cases.
- Nach 120 Tagen, Flüchtlinge, including those already approved for resettlement, may be required to go through additional security procedures in order to be eligible to come to the U.S. This means overseas interviews and background checks may be delayed.
- The order also bans individuals from certain countries from entering the United States for 90 Tagen (März 16, 2017 – Juni 14, 2017). These countries include: Iran, Sudan, Syrien, Libyen, Somalia, and Yemen. Green card holders and dual nationals are not included in this ban. If you or someone you know is unlawfully detained, you should contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or call your local ACLU. Nach 90 Tagen, the ban may be lifted for some people. If you do not have a green card, do not travel outside of the United States at this time. If you must travel at this time due to an emergency and you do not have a green card, you may be eligible for a national interest waiver but you must apply for this waiver before you travel at your local consulate or embassy.
- The total number of refugees this year to be resettled to the US will be 50,000 instead of 110,000. Since about 35,000 refugees have been admitted so far, it means there should be another 15,000 refugees allowed to enter the U.S. after July 14, 2017.
- Refugees who were already scheduled to travel to the United States before March 6, 2017, will still be allowed to travel to the United States.
How will the Executive Order affect me if I am a refugee?
- If you are already a refugee in the United States, this order will have no effect on your legal status. You still have the same legal status. You can still apply for a Green Card after one year of residence and apply for U.S. citizenship after five years of residence.
- If you are waiting for a family member to be resettled to the United States or to join you through family reunification, it will probably now take them longer to come to the United States and new procedures may make the process more challenging.
- If your family member is from one of the countries that were banned from entering the United States, they will not be allowed to come to the United States until after the 90-day ban. They may also be required to follow additional new procedures to apply for a visa to come to the U.S.
What if you need legal help?
If you have immediate legal concerns because of this EO or have refugee family members who are scheduled to come to the United States, you can contact the International Refugee Assistance Project. IRAP can provide you with advice and information, but does not have the power to get anyone into the U.S. who is barred by the Executive Order: email@example.com
What can you do?
The majority of Americans do welcome refugees and know that you make valuable contributions to our society. You legal status as a refugee is not changed because of the Executive Order. You are safe and protected by U.S. Gesetz. Als Flüchtling, you have already been through so many hardships which makes you resilient and strong.
Right now, there are four things you can do:
- Remain hopeful and continue to build your new life in the U.S. You are the best ambassador for the refugee resettlement program.
- Refugee status does not expire, but we encourage all refugees to apply for green cards (nach 1 Jahr) and apply to become a U.S. Bürger (nach 5 Jahre). You can take the Refugee Center Online’s free online citizenship preparation course to help you get ready for the citizenship exam.
- If you feel safe, share your story. It is important for other Americans to understand and hear the stories of refugees right now.
- Help others like you. Find this information in your language below and share it with other refugees in the U.S or people waiting for refugee resettlement in the U.S.
What if you are the victim of discrimination or targeted for a hate crime?
If you are the victim of a crime, you should immediately call the police: 911.
If you believe you or someone you know has been discriminated against because of your religion or group membership, you should report it:
What if you have other questions?
If you have other questions, contact your local Resettlement Agency or email the RCO: Info@therefugeecenter.org.
Who is helping and advocating for refugees?
In den Vereinigten Staaten, there is a national group called Refugee Council USA that is working with policy makers to ensure that the proud American tradition of resettling refugees from around the world continues. Many organizations are a part of this group including all of the national Resettlement Agencies. These organizations, along with the majority of Americans, are all standing for refugees.
Read about the Executive Order in your language
ስደተኛን የመቀበልፕሮግራም ላይ ትልቅ ለውጥ የምያመታ አስፈፃሚ ትዛዝ ፕሬዚዳንት Trump አሳልፏል>። አስፈፃሚ ትዛዝ ማለት ከአገሩ መሪ የሚመታ ትዛዝ ነው። በUnited States አገር እንደ ህግ ነው የሚቆተረው
Executive Order - Amharic
أصدر الرئيس ترامب أمرا تنفيذيا كان له الأثر البالغ على برنامج الولايات المتحدة لإعادة توطين اللاجئين.
Executive Order - Arabisch
Executive Order - Burmesische
Executive Order - Chinesisch
آقای رئيس جمهور ترامپ فرمان اجرایی صادر کردهاند که تغییرات قابل توجهی در طرح اسکان پناهندگان ایالات متحده ایجاد کرده است.
دانلد ترامپ، نخست وزیر جدید ایالات متحده یک فرمان اجرایی جدید را صادر کرده است که تغییرات قابل توجهی را در برنامه استقرار مجدد پناهندگان ایالات متحده ایجاد کرده است.
Executive Order - Farsi/Persian
Le Président Trump a publié un décret (Executive Order) qui a beaucoup changé le programme de réinstallation des réfugiés
Executive Order - Französisch
Information in Karen language about Trumps Executive Order on Refugee Resettlement
Umukuru w’igihugu Trump yashinze itegeko nyamukuru rimaze guhindura uburyo bujanye ninteguro zokuzana impunzi muri reta zunzubumwe za America.
Executive Order - Nepali
Executive Order - Pashto
Executive Order - Russisch
Madaxweyne Trump waxaa usoo saaray amar madaxweyne kasoo isedel la taaban karo kusameeyay barnaamijka
Executive Order - Somali (with oral recording)
El presidente Trump emitió una orden ejecutiva que cambiara de manera significativa el programa de reasentamiento de refugiados
Executive Order - Spanisch
Executive Order - Swahili
Executive Order - Tigrinya
Executive Order - Türkisch
Executive Order - Vietnamesisch
Hilfe in Ihrer Nähe finden
Suche nach Programmen und Ressourcen in deiner Stadt.Starten Sie Ihre Suche